Monday, April 2, 2007

Coming Out Party


My friend, Olivia Birdsall, has written the greatest book. And gotten published. I mean, she's a real live author whose book can be found at your local Barnes & Noble. Every time we go to a bookstore, we find her book on the shelves and I make her pose for pictures next to it {she's a good sport}. We went to her book release party with a Prom theme. She does after all write in the young adult genre. It brought back loads of memories, just like her book does.


Cleverly titled, "Notes On a Near-Life Experience", her book is oh-so-entertaining and a delightful read. It's not necessarily written as a chapter book. Instead, a paper-chain of thoughts are expressed as though the reader is allowed a glimpse into the mind of main character, Mia. It's very engaging, incredibly creative. It is simply fabulous to read, and a bit of a walk down memory lane. If you head on over to B&N, you can read a sample chapter, and even see that people who bought her book also bought Pride & Prejudice...need I say more?

6 comments:

ali said...

Man, I've got to get my hands on it.

Lorilee said...

I usually get my books at the Library... but since you are friends with the author--Olivia Birdsall--I must show my support and purchase it. Plus, I really like the title.

Jen said...

Thanks for the recommendation...I'm always looking for good books to read!

angie said...

I love Olivia - when Lane told me about this book I was so excited - it really is genre I am most suited to read, love, and understand!

Lane said...

"Love means not having to eat your pepperoni." This is an actual chapter title. And I think it's my favorite chapter, I like to think it's dedicated to me because I love cured meats. And I love Olivia.

If you get this book you will not be disappointed by her wry observations and quirky sense of humor. Plus, you will feel pride that you (sort of)know someone who wrote something worthwhile, and esp. if you're from Utah, that someone from Utah wrote something that isn't cheesy crap.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie, I love you and your website (polaroids and peeps--does it get any better???). Thanks for giving my book a shout out--so kind of you!